CLICK HERE FOR LUNARTICKS: http://lunarticks.blogspot.com

Sunday, April 14, 2013

A Sad Day Turned Peaceful




by Moe O'Brien


My Fini decided to ditch me yesterday. I have to admit, it was a very sad occasion.  I mean, we’ve been together now for fourteen years.  That’s a pretty long time, considering today’s world of flings and fleeting relationships.  I have taken very good care of her and she has… well, she’s been pretty good to me.  As I pondered the situation, I thought, I really shouldn’t complain.  It’s been a great ride.   
  
We had just turned on to Salem Road, only two miles from home and about two miles from our destination.  I think I was in shock because I let loose with a blood curdling scream, “Couldn’t you have waited just two more miles.” No response from Fini.  We’re talking total silence. 

I couldn’t help thinking about all the money I had spent on her.  We had taken many fun trips together.  And we didn’t cut back on our travel just because of the exorbitant price of gas.  No, no, of course not.  She wanted to go and I wanted to go, so that was that. Seemed we were always on the go.  

Then I got to thinking about Salem RoadI wonder if there are some evil witches at work here?    Or could this be an intervention by a good witch?  

I’ve had a full day now to think about this.  No question in my mind that the good witch was trying to tell me something.  My 1999  Infiniti QX4  is in the repair shop, being fitted for a new distributor and getting a much needed tune-up.  I am home alone, without wheels for the first time in fourteen years.  Truth be known, I haven’t felt this peaceful in a long, long time.  I can’t go anywhere and it’s a restful feeling. The best part is that I don’t feel like I have to go. I don’t have to be on the run.  I can just be.  


      
Maureen “Moe” O’Brien moved from Bethel, CT to Myrtle Beach, SC in 1988.   Her “claim to fame” as she likes to phrase it, is that she played professional basketball, touring with the Harlem Globetrotters in 1959. She is an avid golfer and won the SC Senior Women’s Golf Championship in 1993 and 2004. Her book “Who’s Got The Ball?  And Other Nagging Questions About Team Life”, was published in 1995.  It is a “how to” book for team members in all work environments. Maureen is the proud Grandma of eight granddaughters, ranging in age from fifteen to twenty seven.

No comments:

Post a Comment