CLICK HERE FOR LUNARTICKS: http://lunarticks.blogspot.com

Saturday, July 26, 2014

A Very Special Dinner




By Maureen O’Brien



I was running late for work but felt an urgent need to check on Mom.  I don’t know why.  Just some intuitive thing which happens often, especially when it comes to Mom. 

Maybe it had something to do with our phone conversations lately.  I wondered what had happened to the long, news filled chats we used to have.  Just yesterday, she had dismissed me again.  “Marcus, I really can’t talk right now.  I have to go Sweetie.”  She seemed to be so busy.  Always on the go and in a hurry to get somewhere.  What was going on?

 I waited after ringing the doorbell.  No answer, so I let myself in.  As usual, the door was unlocked.  Mom has never believed in locking doors.  She’s always said that if someone broke in to rob her, he’d probably look around, feel sorry for her and leave something instead.

 I found her in the dining room where she seemed to be putting the finishing touches on her table setting.  I couldn’t believe my eyes.  Vintage lace covered the table and it was set for three, with fine china.  The centerpiece was an arrangement of colorful hydrangeas which I was sure, she had picked from her prodigious garden.  White cloth napkins, shaped in to swans peeked out of cobalt blue wine goblets.  I watched as she stepped back to admire her handiwork.  I detected her whispering something but I couldn’t make it out.    

 “Hey Mom,” I said.  “Sorry to barge in on you.   Hope I didn’t startle you but I guess you were so busy you didn’t hear the doorbell. By the way, your table looks beautiful.”

  She didn’t appear at all startled. Paying no attention to me, she continued to rearrange the flatware.  I had never seen so many different size forks on our dining room table and what were those little knives for?

“Well,” I announced, “set a pretty table and they will come.” 

I don’t think she heard me over the blaring television.  Matt Lauer of The Today Show was going on and on about how terrible it was that Lindsey Vonn would not be able to compete in the Sochi Olympics. 

“Oh Sweetheart,” Mom said, “What a nice surprise.  But isn’t this just awful?  That poor girl has been training so hard and now her knee went out again. I swear it makes me want to cry. Can you imagine?”



Continued, CLICK HERE.


 Maureen “Moe” O’Brien moved from Bethel, CT to Myrtle Beach, SC in 1988.   Her “claim to fame” as she likes to phrase it, is that she played professional basketball, touring with the Harlem Globetrotters in 1959. She is an avid golfer and won the SC Senior Women’s Golf Championship in 1993 and 2004.  Her book “Who’s Got The Ball?  And Other Nagging Questions About Team Life”, was published in 1995.  It is a “how to” book for team members in all work environments.  Maureen is the proud Grandma of eight granddaughters, ranging in age from fifteen to twenty seven.


No comments:

Post a Comment